Sunday, December 28, 2008

Thailand - BKK to Koh Phangan aka Party town!

Arrived in Koh Phangan from the bus ferry combo extremely shattered! Made it through the taxi drivers and found the bungalows Logan and his friend Manuel were staying at, unfortunately they were all full, so wandered down the beach to 'Charm resort Bungalows', where I checked in for the discounted rate of 330B a night (approx $17 NZ) so quite pricy given I only had a bucket shower and toilet!

First night out we went to Haad Rin the party beach it was unbeleivable! Just people everywhere! And cheap drinks and signs saying "Fucking cheap Fuck buckets" or "Cheap Fuck buckets, get pussy" or something equally as crass as that, selling these buckets with a hip flask of vodka or spirit one red bull concerntrate and a can of soft drink all for about $5!

Partyed on the beach til around 3.30ish when we stumbled home, and slept most of the day away! I did lose my shoes on the beach also though for some reason Logan and I thought it a good idea to go for a 1km jog! Upon return no shoes! But I bought some fairly gross black ones the next day for cheap so no biggie, except that I also left my sunnies on the bus and my soap in the gusthouse DOH!

2nd night I decided I wanted to go watch some Muay Thai kickboxing specially coz they had some international acts. It was so intense! 8 rounds and about 6 of them were knockout, it was crazy to see.






After kickboxing Logan and I decided to head to a shiva moon party, basically a random area in the jungle all decked out with UV lights and a dj and a bar charging way overpriced drinks, and lots of drunk people... the minute we walk in a thai guy approaches us and says pill pill pill? trying to sell us some ecstacy or something, and then again about 1min later another one approaches us, and so it went on all night, until i decided that i was bored and needed my beauty sleep, so we descended on my moto down the tricky dirt road and thru giant puddles, but made it back ok.

Logan and I and the party.


Some of the crazy UV stuff the put up, also a lady came around and painted my arms in UV paint some shiva symbol of peace or something I think.






Our moto ride home.


This was my beachfront bungalow location and it was mint, well the setting not so much the room. For a lot of money you could rent the treehouse, but really just living on the beach was enough!

To entertain myself during the day I decided to go and check out kiteboarding, for a mere $1500 I could get 3 days of lessons! Decided against it and thought I would go check out wakeboarding something i can actually do and will not need lessons... even still for 15mins, or three times of wakeboarding I was looking at $150, and an hour was going to set me back close to $350, so I also bowed out of this option, given the weather was not great either.

In fact it rained nearly every day I was there, however I did manage to get out up to the top of the island one day and sat on the end of the pier, thinking wow this place is beautiful and i wished i had of had someone to experience it with!

This is me looking out to NZ, just sitting staring!


After this, I drove around the western part of the island and stopped at a promising waterfall called Wang Sai, "most beautiful scenic tranquil" or something to that effect in thai-glish... so parked up my moto and began trotting up the path. I had heard about these giant centipedes which if you get a sting are in complete agony for days but never thought I would encounter one, it was about as long as your thumb to little finger hand span and i thought had well over 100 legs!

Luckily I avoided it and it avoided me... so I continued on to find this waterfall, and then after a few precarious climbs over rocks, there it was! to be fair it was a little short of one of the worlds great wonders, but nice all the same and very peaceful as I went around 9am, no one else was there.



Next and final stop of my tour around the Island was a bay called Haad Salad, it was the most beautiful place on the whole island, gorgeous beach, nice accomodation, yum food, and awesome friendly people. Stopped here for lunch, and then zoomed back round to the south coast where i was staying for my final night of partying.

On the last night on the island hooked up with an English girl and a couple of guys and Logan and I went out and drank away the night, all good until i realised how early I had to get up the next morning to catch my 2 1/2 hour boat to the mainland, then an overnight bus back to bkk! 

A combo of feeling hungover, tired, and the a/c on the bus freezing I managed to catch another cold, and so spent a final miserable day in Bangkok before flying out that night new years eve back to Cambodia.

No comments: