Sunday, December 28, 2008

Svay Rieng - Back to REDA and up to PP

I made it back out to REDA (where I used to work) and the kids of REDA, which was great because they were so happy to see me, although did receive some sad news, one of the mothers that was living at REDA who had HIV died last August.

Other than that REDA is fairly much the same, a couple of new chicken pens have gone up, but the kids still don't have a lot, but are still really happy so its nice to see! I decided to utilise some of the money dad gave me and a couple of frisbees from the national bank which we had trekked all through SEAsia! So I bought the kids, toothpaste, toothbrushes, towels, pen, pencils, marbles, soap, books, etc etc! Everything which i thought would be good for these kids to have, and they loved it!

I also bought them another volleyball, and a few of them some clothes, Daph, Sothun, Grettle, Borey and I went out on the motos with heaps of fruit and stuff for the kids and had a pre xmas day, it was awesome!

Niks, you remember how I took all those old clothes of yours to give to the kids in Cambodia, well this girl here called Sokha, is probably going to get them all as I thought there were two girls her age but one has left and so I will give them to this girl. She is 11, and has HIV, but very sweet! So there you go!

The guys picked up on how to play frisbee really quickly! I was suprised plus they were really good! I guess they are just sporty in general they love their football and their volleyball, so thats cool.


Unfortunately the housing situation hasnt improved for these guys much and whilst these houses look very cute, many of them leak and do not provide quite as much warmth as I would like.
To say thanks for the presents the littest kids sang us a khmer song it was so cute!


Next day, and only just because I has been pulling some very late nights to get my essay for a UNEP programme I am applying for next year, Daph, Grettle and I got a taxi to PP. We were lucky there were only 3 of us in the back seat and it didnt coxt us too much extra! This is the ferry boat at the river crossing about half way, there are plans to build a bridge but these seem to be mostly talk and a long way off if that!




Daph and Grettle with the Mekong in the background.



Not everyone beleived me when I said you could get two people in the drivers seat, well here is the proof!The guy on the right is driving!


Independance monument in Phnom Penh, when we arrived, sortted out a few loose ends like booking a bus to Bangkok, and grabbing a xmas drink with daph and grettle! Then went and crashed at Marady's house my old friend fom svay rieng, and got up at 5.30 for the bus the next morning.


Supposedly the bus was VIP, but actually it was just standard at best, luckily the aircon worked but no toilets and many seats broken! However made it to the border of Thailand and Cambodia, after 7 hours crossed over, and got told to wait for more tourists until they had enough to fill a bus load only maybe 2-3 hours! I had no thai baht and was not happy by this stage!
Although about 5 mins later a mini bus came by grabbed all the people which had already been waiting 2 1/2 hours and there was 1 spare seat for me! Yay, so very luckily I hopped on and tried to sleep all the way to BKK, however went over a mssive bump and gave myself an almighty knock on the head!
Arrived around 8pm in BKK, and checked back into Harns guesthouse Kubes and I had stayed before, I had originally though to take the train straight to the beach however, it was fully booked for 5 days so I had to stay and catch an overnight bus the day after.


Xmas Day kind of came and went for me I had no presents to open, so instead I treated myself to a frappa from starbucks at the cost of aound $12 NZ! Then chatted to kubes and the family, got held up by an anti government protest down Khao San Rd, but finally made it to the bus and off to Koh Phangan!

No comments: