Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Over a month...

Yes it actually has been that long and there are no excuses, Im sorry to everyone who actually follows my blog and is interested, might I know refer you to dad's blog www.stevestrampabroad.blogspot.com also in my links section, to see my whereabouts for the last few weeks.

As for me, I have been to Vietnam to meet dad, back to Cambodia and wrapped up my project at work, it was hard to say goodbye but boy am I pleased to be out of that place, I can't wait to get home and get a job that will stretch me professionally and be able to maintain a good working environment. Whilst trying not to be too cynical about my time in Cambodia because I loved it, I couldn't help but be rather disillusioned as to how different development theory is to practice. And is it reasonable of us to think that they want help at all?

Final goodbyes in Svay Rieng consisted of many meetings and grabbing small oppurtunities of time to really say goodbye and it was definately difficult. When I leave these friends I realise that perhaps the next time I will see them is when I go back to Cambodia, as the immigration laws are crazy... free visas or cheap visas for all of the developed world that can already afford them and ridiculously expensive and difficult for a person to get even a tourist visa from a country which people don't have money to buy things!

Oh the irony is tough, but anyway made it through my goodbyes, with many tears and lots of photos, and have now excaped with dad firstly to Rabbit Island of the coast of southern Cambodia, it was paradise completely chilled and nothing to do just the way it should be! Then another exciting trip up Bokor mountain this time on the back of a 4WD bench seat, needless to say the body was screaming afterwards!

Next part of the trip took me and dad to Phnom Penh for the night and Siem Reap next day, Angkor Wat again similarily spectactular second time around, especially as me, dad, two great ozzie chics Marcella and Lucy rented a couple of tandem bikes and flew (nearly) around the temples on them (shame about the lack of back chain and flat tyre!). Small argument to follow with bikeshop owner, repay of half the dosh and an enjoyable streetside stall dinner afterwards! But today flew on to Laos, and have spent the day wandering Vientiane - what an amazing little city, treated myself to a super chilli seafood salad which nearly blew the roof out of my mouth! Then entertained dad's obsession to capture the perfect sunset shot over the Mekong river that runs through here. (See his blog)

Next few days include trips to pagoda's, markets, arches and stupa's - leave it to dad he's got it all sortted! Then off to Veng Viang, Luang Prubang and Northern Thailand - updates later I promise and photos (cleverly I left the download cable for my camera in PP - hence the lack of photos now!) Shame as I nearly captured dad falling in open sewer in Vientiane today!

NZ is also calling and I fly in on dec 30 around lunchtime, new years who knows - send me offers! And then it's time to catch up with all of you in NZ again, so watch out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL - i thought you'd given away the blogging! Lovely to hear - and have been following your progress through Dads blog...and counting the days till you're home, sweetie!
Lots of love - Mum and Nikki